The Krakow UNESCO City of Literature Residency Program is dedicated to young and emerging writers from the Cities of Literature of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network. Authors of fiction or non-fiction as well as translators into Polish can apply, aged 25 - 45.
What is Offered?
In 2019 the Residency Program in Krakow will offer writers a two-month stay in the periods: May-June and September-October at the Villa Decius, official partner of the project with years of experience running international residencies, including the Visegrad Literary Residency Program and the ICORN Residency Program. Also included is a stipend of 2500 PLN gross and transportation costs to and from Krakow are covered. The Krakow Festival Office will guarantee residents the opportunity to participate in the literary life of the city and help to develop opportunities for them to promote their works in Poland
The Program was created with the belief that the Network provides an excellent opportunity to develop interconnections, boost mobility, and offer professionalization services for writers. It aims to promote the Cities of Literature Network, provide writers with a platform to showcase their work and talent to a Central European audience, support greater diversity of voices and literatures on the Polish and Central European book market and offer local writers the chance to create links with international writers as well. The Residency Program is a strategic project of the Krakow UNESCO City of Literature Program, operated by the Krakow Festival Office, which will fulfill the priority of strengthening international cooperation in the field of literature and the creative industries.
• Online application form
• Extract from a published text (in Polish or English) or a fragment of a translation (in Polish). No more than 2 pages in length.
• Optional: Recommendation letter, letter of motivation
• This residency is limited to writers from the UNESCO Cities of Literature.
• Upper intermediate level of spoken English.
• At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), poetry collection, screenplay, theatre script or translation into Polish by the applicant.
• Residents will be asked to write a text (work of fiction or non-fiction) that will feature the City of Krakow (min. 6 000 to max. 11 000 characters with spaces) in some fashion and will be used in a future, published collection for promotional purposes.
• Interest in the Central European region.
• Readiness to participate in the literary life of Krakow, including events, meetings promotional interviews and engagements, festivals, where applicable.
• Work on a literary project during the residency
To submit an application, please fill out the application form by February 25, 2019.
In case of inquiries, please contact Elżbieta Foltyniak: email@example.com.